The HR and L&D function comprises of 40 people globally and is responsible for the management of all matters concerning the employment and development of our people. This involves guiding and supporting partners, managers, and all employees alike, as well as supporting the creation of an inclusive and diverse environment, enabling our people to thrive.
- Implementing our people and talent strategy in line with business objectives
- Resourcing, talent and career management
- Reward (financial and non-financial) strategy
- Policy, procedures setting and the practical application of these across the business.
- Work alongside the Chief People and Talent Officer and Head of HR to set and manage the reward strategy and budget, approving invoices and providing regular reporting
- Define, lead and be responsible for the delivery of the global reward approach and strategy
- Act as an escalation point for the UK and international benefits provider (Payroll and benefits specialist owns the relationship)
- Keep developing and be responsible for the firm benefits third party providers and broker relationships, including managing, negotiating and reviewing provider agreements
- Act as a champion for the firm’s reward approach and the supporting technology, responsible for the technology used to manage reward and benefits for employees and partners globally
- Responsible for the communication campaign on benefits as well as on going communication
Projects and day to day responsibilities
- Responsible for overseeing global reward aspects, such as salary benchmarking (including data submission), global bonus scheme, global mobility (benefits and pay aspects), and gender pay gap
- Project management of the global salary review (working closely with the HRBPs) to include: responding to salary surveys, benchmarking roles, preparing the salary review spreadsheets, preparing moderation slides, auditing data and overseeing the salary review upload
- Analysis and reporting on data related to salary, bonus and benefits including D&I
- Act as an escalation point for issues relating to the benefits platform – UK and international, employees and partners (Payroll and benefits specialist manages the platform)
- Overseeing the global employee and partners benefits: overseeing review and offering of international benefits alongside broker and local HR, leading annual UK benefits renewal
- Lead and participate in reward related projects or events, working alongside the relevant teams. Upcoming projects include: partner global benefits platform (information booklet and communication as appropriate), international benefits platform, ongoing communication plan/raising awareness for UK benefits, global benefits gap analysis and proposal and global recognition project
- Responsible for final payroll checking and approval
- Play a key role progressing the wellbeing strategy
People management and team collaboration
- Lead the reward team, providing guidance and support, as well as acting as a role model. Supervise and develop the UK payroll, benefits and pension specialist and hold regular check-ins with the wider team
- Build and develop strong relationships and work closely with the London and international HR teams as key stakeholders, offering specialist support and ensuring consistency in approach where appropriate
- Champion/promote other areas of the HR function: D&I, L&D, CSR, systems, operations
Policies, Knowhow And Developing The HR Function
- Proactively and regularly lead on reviewing processes, improving ways of working to improve efficiency and ensure consistency and/or commercial approach
- Proactively propose topics for training/legal updates for both direct team, as well as the wider HR team where appropriate
- Responsible for the development of the firm’s reward related standards and know how, including relevant documentation, templates and standard processes
Most of our roles are hybrid, meaning that colleagues benefit from working in our office and remotely. We are happy to discuss this and other flexible working arrangements with you as part of the application and interview process.
- Significant relevant experience in a reward role (including payroll knowledge and supervision) is essential including line management and track record of influencing senior stakeholders and managing change
- Experience of leading and implementing projects
- Excellent knowledge of rewards offering and market
- Proven experience of identifying and delivering process and service improvements
- Experience of working in a professional services firm is desirable and commercial law firm experience would be an advantage
- Accuracy and a strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Practical and commercial approach
- Excellent organisational skills; planning and prioritisation; time management
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Approachable and able to build strong relationships across different levels of seniority
- Resilient, dealing effectively with challenging situations
- Analytical with strong ability to create, manipulate and interpret management information and data. Excellent excel skills including complex formulas for data analysis and graphs
- Can do, client-focused and positive attitude, self driven. Adaptable and amenable to changing deadlines and demands
- Flexible and proactive approach. Entrepreneurial and international mindset
This job description is indicative only and does not represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities. The firm reserves the right to alter or change the responsibilities at any time, in line with the firm’s strategy and business needs.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, culture or any other protected characteristics. We aim to create a culture where everyone can be themselves and is valued for their strengths and unique perspectives.
About The Firm
With 8 offices worldwide and with our headquarters based in London, Stephenson Harwood is a law firm where our people are committed to achieving the goals of our clients – listed and private companies, institutions, and individuals across the globe. Our mix of expertise and culture results in a combination of deep local insight and the capability to provide a seamless international service.
Our experience encompasses corporate, commercial litigation and arbitration, employment, pensions and private wealth, finance, marine and international trade, and real estate and projects.
We assemble teams of bright thinkers to match our clients’ needs and give the right advice from the right person at the right time. Dedicating the highest calibre of legal talent to overcome the most complex issues, we deliver pragmatic, expert advice that is set squarely in the real world.
We understand the power of diversity in delivering that high calibre advice to our clients. We want to attract diverse talent and we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented demographics.
Individuality – We encourage creativity and develop talent
Commitment – To be the best and deliver the highest standard
Teamwork – We work together to build close, long-term relationships
Straight talking – We say what we mean and do what we say
These values express the personality of the individuals within our firm. They are the behaviours we encourage in our people and the standards which inform our decisions and actions.
Our vision into 2026
To be a successful firm where talented people work together in an entrepreneurial environment, building long term client relationships.
This vision is about who we want to be, as well as who we are. It is as much about our values as about our character – the attributes we want to see from all of our people. It also reflects the importance of remaining independent – a clear sign that we are confident in our own future. That’s how we unlock our entrepreneurial spirit, advising our clients with top performing teams.
A key part of the 2026 strategy is to focus on five core sectors: decarbonisation, life sciences, private capital & funds, technology, and transportation & trade. These have been identified as crucial in the drive for accelerated profitable growth.
Posted on Jul 21, 2023.